Thursday, November 22, 2007

Family Camp Vacation

Here is my style of travel; a drive from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara. And here is my type of vacation; one week at Family Camp on the University of California at Santa Barbara campus.

For several years now I have attended this camp, either with my wife and her daughter or my daughter and her family. This past year it was my daughter, her husband and my two grandsons. Next year I get to add my son, his wife and their two children.

I usually go week 7, which usually falls around the second week of August. They have enough staff to fully care for the children. The children have fun. The adults have fun. The children have their activities and the adults have theirs. And the children and adults can also do things together from arts and crafts and skits to making soap-box cars and racing them.

All the sports facilities of the university are available; racquetball, basketball, softball, tennis, golf, weights, treadmills, etcetera. There is surfing, kayaking, swimming, biking, walking, hiking, movies and more that I cannot remember. One year I spent 3 days sitting around reading a book. I don’t get to do that at home. This year I got a certificate as a tri-athlete; I jogged 3 miles, rode my bike 26 miles and swam in a relay race.

They usually book up 9 months in advance, but if you want to know more you can visit their website at http://www.familyvacationcenter.com/

Rennie

No comments: