Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Parking Nightmare

The saga continues. My airfare from Burbank CA to Las Vegas NV was $46.53 plus taxes of $24.68. Total $71.20. When I arrived back two days later my motorcycle was soaking wet from the rain and it would not start and before I could leave, they wanted $80 in parking fees. You can read below the letter I sent to the Manager of Parking Operations for the Burbank Airport. I will post the results on my blog, but do not expect an entry any time soon.

Lot E Burbank Airport December 8, 2009
Entered 12-5-09 Exit 12-8-09
Total Fee Paid $80
Refund requested $80

Based on the information below, I am requesting a refund of my parking fee at the Burbank Airport:
1. Motorcycles used to park for free in the parking structure the last time I was at the Burbank Airport. I have a beautiful Honda Goldwing.
2. I was willing to pay the $20 daily fee, and then found out my motorcycle was prohibited from parking in the structure.
3. I parked where I was told in an open uncovered lot, and DID NOT take away a parking space for a car.
4. When I returned in the morning two days later it was raining. My motorcycle has NEVER before been parked out in the rain. It is always garaged.
5. I spoke to the airport security (Mr. Rickard) to find out what to do. He put me in touch with the parking department. I spoke to Lisa, then Patty, and finally got permission from Raymond Abara to park my bike in the structure until the next day when I could pick it up, hoping when it dried out it would start. If not, I would have to have it towed away. It took an additional 90 minutes before I could leave the airport and have my wife pick me up.
6. I had to push my 900 lb bike about 200 yards in the rain to get into the parking structure.
7. Again, I DID NOT take a parking space from a car but parked next to a storage container in the parking structure..
8. When I came back the next day my bike did start and now I was supposed to pay $80 instead of $40 when I was not my fault it was there another 30 hours.
9. I could have paid $30/day; taken a full parking place; been in the parking structure; returned to a dry motorcycle; and it would have only been $60. But I parked where I was told and now I am being asked to pay an additional $40 and never even took up a parking space. That is just completely unfair and obscene.
10. On the basis of the above 9 points I am requesting a full refund of $80. This fee is outrageous under the circumstances. My parking receipt is enclosed.

Rennie Gabriel, CLU, CFP, UCLA Instructor

No comments: